Since it has become cooler at night, I was yearning my Nana Bella's Oxtail Stew. I have made a few changes to her recipe but I just know she wouldn't mind. This is such a heart warming meal, great for big families and the house is full of such yummy aroma's. I'm hoping we will get two nights out of this stew, it is pretty big.
2kg of Oxtail, trim them if needed
2 large onions or 2 medium leeks
3 medium carrots
1 parsnip, cut into chucks
1 turnip, cut into chucks
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 cup of red wine or port( my nan preferred port)
1litre of beef stock
3 bay leaves
rosemary fresh or dried
thyme fresh or dried
1. Pre heat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Place roasting tray in oven with a good glug of olive oil and heat, once heated add oxtails to tray and season. Cook for 30 mins until browned and caramelized or more cooking time if needed.
3. In a good size casserole dish *that can be used on the stove top, heat olive oil, add onions and cook until golden, add carrots, parsnip, turnips, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for about 10 minutes.
4. Add both tins of tomatoes, red wine or port and one litre of beef stock to vegetables and stir through.
5. Remove oxtails from oven, add to casserole dish and mix through any juices from the pan.
6. Turn oven down to 170 degrees, place stew in oven and cook for 4 to 5 hours depending on oven, stir ever hour or more as required.
7. Serve with creamy mash and crusty bread or any other vegetables you love.
* You can remove meat from bones and add meat back to stew, stir through and then serve.